Even if you are a non-EU national,  you can still get a permanent UK residency visa. For those who don’t know EU (European union) is a group of 27 countries that share trade and political foresight for the sake of their growing economies. Their citizens have free movement rights to go to any EU country. So, how do non-EU nationals get permanent UK residency visas?

Read our blog as we guide you in the best possible way we can.

How can non-EU citizens get permanent residency in the UK?

Normally for non-EU nationals,  it is mandatory to spend 5 years in the UK to get permanent status to legally obtain the rights of citizenship. Non-EU nationals can also get eligible for permanent residency if they have lived in the UK on different visas in any of the following categories.

  • They have been living on a spouse visa with a partner (married or non-married) for up to 2 years.
  • Have stayed for longer periods (up to 10 years).
  • achieved 5 years of residence on tier 1, tier 2, or tier 5 visas.
  • unlawfully stayed in the UK for more than 14 years.
  • They have a business, investor, or artist visa and have lived in the UK for 5 years.
  • Parents, grandparents, or children are living in the UK for more than 5 years.

If a non-EU citizen is already living in the UK on any of the above categories,  they can also apply for settlement status. 

There is a difference between settlement and permanent residence. For permanent residence, you need to prove that you have been living in the UK for 5years and have not left the country. If you already have settlement status,  you don’t need to prove 5 years of residency without leaving the UK. In settlement status, you can leave the UK for up to five years.

What does UK permanent residency allow to non-EU citizens?

Uk green card or permanent residence visa will allow you to

  • Remain in the UK for unlimited time.
  • Work and settle in the UK.
  • Get the right to health, insurance, and other social funds.
  • Obtain legal status in the UK
  • Children will get an automatic right to citizenship
  • Residents can leave the UK as per their choice. However, the leaving period must not extend two years or the right to permanent status can be revoked.

 How to apply for permanent residence in the UK for non-EU citizens?

Normally,  after 5 years stay in the UK,  non-EU citizens will be eligible for PR. However,  you have been staying on various visas so sum up all your documents before applying for UK permanent residency. To prove your stay in the UK,  you will need to attach salary slips,  bank statements,  tax letters, and work letters from employers to the application.

For a permanent UK family visa,  every member of the family who is above 18 years of age needs to fill out their respective forms.  If a non-EU-national has Tier 1, Tier 2, or Tier 5 visa and falls under the category,  he can sponsor his family. Also, if a non-EU- national has a British spouse or partner he needs to live in the UK for 2 years before applying for permanent residence.

It’s mandatory to Pass the English knowledge and UK life test to show that you understand the language and can survive in the UK. Also, financial statements must show approximately $18000 yearly earnings and $2400 extra for every child (excluding British nationals) to gain permanent residency status. These earnings can be from a joint account, from both partners.

If you are eligible for permanent residency,  after applying you will get a response within the first 6 months.

Which things can affect the permanent residency of non-Eu nationals?

If you are a non-EU national and have UK permanent visa,  still some things can change your legal status. If you stay outside the UK for more than 2 years,  you have to reapply for a permanent visa. Also, involvement in any criminal activity leading to deportation may cancel out the permanent residency status of non-EU nationals.

What are you waiting for!

Apply for your UK visa

Get in touch with our UK Residency Team. We offer you blended services.

Our team is ready to help you for getting through Life in the UK test.

Contact our Immigration Consultants to explore your options to enter the UK.

Call us at (+44) 7898641255 for immediate help with your situation.

We are here to help you in person via the phone or online Zoom meeting


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *